Romanian sour soup
Very filling and tasty.
* 3-4 l water
* 8 large potatoes, cubed
* 1 cup green beans, cut
* 2 large carrots, sliced thin
* 8 tomatoes
* 1 head cabbage, cut into 2 cm chunks
* 3 onions, chopped finely
* 4 large dill pickles, chopped
* one can tomato paste (200 g)
* 4 green peppers, chopped
* 2 stalks celery, sliced thinly
* basil, oregano, and thyme to taste
Bring water to a boil. Add potatoes, carrots, and celery. Add green beans. Blanch, peel and chop tomatoes. Add to soup. In a bowl, mix tomato paste with 1 cup of hot soup stock from pot until smooth. Add all back to pot and stir. Add cabbage. In a wok or skillet, brown onions and green peppers lightly, then add to pot. Cook until cabbage is tender- about 5 minutes. Turn off heat. Add parsley, dill pickles and herbs. Salt and pepper to taste.
(The Romanian name of the dish: Ciorba romaneasca)